10 August 2008

Observations on our Nation's Capitol

I've been in DC for almost a week now and it's been a great experience - I've had the chance to see old friends again (some I haven't seen since 2002) and tour just a little bit of our great nation's capitol. Today I got out to the National Air and Space Museum annex near Dulles Airport - it's listed as a free museum (it is part of the Smithsonian) but the $12 parking fee reminded me of that FreeCreditReport.com commercial..."Free museum admission implies enrollment in our daily parking plan..." I digress. The museum was spectacular - I spent about 3 hours there walking around and gaping at all the exhibits. The one thing I was struck by was just how SMALL the Space Shuttle really is...I guess I always thought it was bigger than it really was...must be the camera angles they use in space...definitely the angles.

Last week, I was walking home from the Metro Station to my hotel (after a grueling day in the Pentagon) and was amused to see a couple 5 or 6 Greenpeace activists on a corner, passing out flyers, and decrying America's sins against the environment. Oddly enough, they all turned away from me when I walked by them and they didn't offer me a flyer or an enrollment application. The nerve. The next day I walked by the same area, and you guessed it...more do gooders trying to do good things. This time the issue was our banking system and how they were raising interest rates to bankrupt our society. Interestingly enough, it was the same group of people from the day before. Different Day. Different Issue. Same People. The idealism of youth...changing the world one street corner at a time. I wonder what they'll protest on Monday...too bad I changed hotels this weekend.

No comments: